Rio de Janeiro
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI / PUC-Rio) runs a number of economic and legal research initiatives that focus on helping increase the protection of natural resources and food production in Brazil. More information about the Climate Policy Initiative in Brazil can be found at https://climatepolicyinitiative.org/brazil.
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is a team of analysts and advisors that works with policy makers around the world to improve the most important land use and energy policies, with a particular focus on finance. CPI works in places that provide the most potential for policy impact including Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia and the United States. Our work helps nations grow while addressing increasingly scarce resources and climate risks. This is a complex challenge in which policy plays a crucial role.
ABOUT THE POSITION
CPI is hiring two analysts for its Financial Instruments and Sustainable Agriculture teams. Under the supervision and guidance of each team’s Head of Policy Evaluation, the Analyst will participate in the development of robust and careful empirical analysis focused on generating rigorous empirical evidence to inform policy and decision-making in the land use sector in Brazil. In addition to supporting the team in its data management and analysis efforts, the Analysts will also participate in the development of communications material for academic, policy, and nontechnical audiences. The Analysts also will interact with stakeholders in public, private, and non-profit sectors, including policymakers, academics, and other organizations.
The ideal candidate for the position is focused, self-driven, and empirically curious, and demonstrates a keen interest in evidence-based policy- and decision-making. CPI expects its Analysts to produce high-quality materials under demanding deadlines, so the ideal candidate must also systematically demonstrate acute attention to detail and a strong capacity to prioritize when simultaneously tackling multiple tasks.
- Engage with themes related to land use in Brazil and its relationship with public policies.
- Contribute to the design and development of quantitative analysis to inform policy and decision-making.
- Handle a variety of data formats (including spatial data), as well as build and run procedures for statistical/econometric analyses using high-level scripting language.
- Produce and format analytical output (tables, graphs, maps).
- Assist in the writing and editing of high-quality CPI products, including technical papers, full reports, policy briefs, white papers, and presentations, working closely with the Communications team.
- Engage with policymakers, researchers and stakeholders in the private and non-profit sectors throughout the research process and communicate on the implications of research findings.
- Strictly observe requirements for transparent and reproducible research in the execution of daily tasks.
- Participate in and conduct internal/external presentations of analytical products to a variety of audiences.
- Actively contribute to team’s data and knowledge management efforts.
MAJOR Collect, clean, and treat data in a variety of formats and from a variety of sources; run procedures for statistical and econometric analyses; engage with researchers and policymakers throughout the research process; participate in and conduct internal and external presentations; help writing academic papers, reports and policy briefs; collaborate with and provide guidance to research assistants.
MEDIUM Contribute to the design of analytical products; communicate and collaborate with members of all CPI Brazil area teams.
MINOR Perform academic literature reviews; communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working around the globe; travel if needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics or a related field is required
- Master’s or PhD degree in economics is preferred
- Experience with data management and analytics (Stata, R or Python) is required
- Experience with LaTeX is a plus
- Experience with GIS using high-level programming languages (preferably R or Python) is a plus
- Verbal and written proficiency in Portuguese and English languages are required
- Solid understanding of microeconomics and econometrics
- Advanced programming skills (Stata, R or Python) for data management and analytics
- Solid understanding of core concepts for transparent and reproducible research
- Acute and constant attention to detail
- Strong organization and prioritization skills
- Ability to communicate clearly (verbally and in writing) with technical audience in Portuguese and English
- Intellectually and empirically curious
- Self-driven and independent, but enthusiastic about working as part of a team
- Flexible and adaptable
- Interested in evidence-based decision-making
- Interested in environmental topics and public policy evaluation
- Committed to the mission and values of CPI
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CPI is hiring for two full-time positions, open immediately. The position is located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. CPI in Brazil hires through the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro and offers competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send their application letter and CV to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Application letters should be written in English and should include a brief description of the candidate’s academic and professional experience, as well as of the candidate’s professional aspirations. The application email should have a subject line as follows: <CPI analyst – candidate’s first and last names>.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next phase of the selection process.
CPI is an equal opportunity employer.