Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
With deep expertise in policy and finance, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an analysis and advisory organization that works to improve the most important energy and land use practices around the world. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Europe, and the U.S.
We are seeking a talented and driven communications associate who will manage external communications for one of our flagship programs, the Brasil Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (www.ClimateFinanceLab.org), and will also support communications for our global work.
The successful candidate will have outstanding interpersonal skills and comfort working in both English and Portuguese, experience in media relations, and ability to translate economics and financial language into clear, concise, and accessible insights. You will also have a belief in communications as a critical component to influence decision makers at the highest levels, strong, demonstrated interest in sustainable business, investment, finance, and economics, and dedication to CPI’s mission and impact.
You will report to a Senior Communications Associate based in the U.S. and work with a team of analysts in Rio de Janeiro who support the Brasil Innovation Lab for Climate Finance. You will also collaborate with communications, analyst, leadership, and operations colleagues around the world.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Develop and carry out integrated external communications strategies
- Place stories in top-tier business, financial, and energy sector media
- Create and edit materials including research products, presentations, fact sheets, videos, blog posts, and marketing materials targeted at multiple global audiences, including private investors and policymakers
- Secure and coordinate event and speaking opportunities
- Train and mentor analysts on effective communicators, including in writing and presentation skills
- Track relevant activity around investment for climate change and sustainable development
- Support design, layout, and graphics
- Help manage website and social media presence for CPI and the Lab
- Maintain professional interactions with external stakeholders
- Assist with other communications activities as needed, including event planning, publicity, and designd reporting the impact of different CPI projects including in terms of their outreach, digital, and media performance
- At least three years progressive experience or demonstrable equivalent skills in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, policy, economics, international development, or related field
COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Editing skills, with the ability to restructure as well as copyedit. Ability to turn economics and finance knowledge into accessible insights for investors, policymakers, and other stakeholders.
- Experience writing in a variety of formats – web, print publications, briefing papers, press releases, etc.
- Experience with media outreach and public relations. Experience with both global and Brazilian media desirable. Experience with financial media desirable.
- Experience in event management and managing stakeholder relationships.
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational, project management, and prioritization skills, and an ability to work independently under pressure and on tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to navigate a cross-cultural, global working environment
- Experience with the investor community, especially in Brazil, desirable
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite. Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite and CMS/Wordpress desirable
- Graphic design/data visualization skills desirable
- Working fluency in English and Portuguese required. Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills in both languages
CPI is hiring for one consultancy position, open immediately. We are seeking someone based in Rio de Janeiro. The position may require international travel. Title and competitive compensation will be based on experience and location.
Visit our website to submit an application.
With your application, attach: (1) CV/resume in English, (2) a cover letter in English, and 3) two writing samples, one in English and one in Portuguese, each of 2 pages or less, that have not been edited by anyone other than yourself. The cover letter should outline why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the position requirements. The position will remain open until we find the right candidate to join our team. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and we therefore encourage you to submit your application at the earliest opportunity.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.