Senior Data Visualization Specialist
San Francisco or Home Based, United States
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
With deep expertise in policy and finance, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an analysis and advisory organization that works to improve the most important energy and land use practices around the world. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change.
CPI has offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Europe, and the U.S.
We are looking for a Senior Data Visualization Specialist to partner with CPI teams to translate complex economic and financial concepts into clear and compelling visual messages. You will serve as the lead for data visualization within CPI and also play a coordination role for CPI website functions. You will report to the Head of Communications based in the U.S. and collaborate with communications, analyst, leadership, and operations colleagues around the world.
You will have an outstanding data visualization portfolio. You will also have excellent interpersonal and project management skills, a belief in visual design as a critical component to influence decision makers at the highest levels, and dedication to CPI’s mission and impact.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Work with analyst, communications, and leadership teams to conceptualize and create visual materials, including data visualizations, slide decks, reports and briefs, event and marketing materials
- Work with communications and analyst teams to set and prioritize design/creative editorial calendar, including flagging when outside (freelance) resources are required
- Contribute and support web design and content development, including interactive online products, organizational website design, and social media communications
- Monitor and coordinate CPI website functions, including to manage an external web developer on retainer, promote best practices for web content, and manage subscriptions and hosting for CPI web properties
- Manage design and video freelancers as needed
- Maintain professional interactions with external stakeholders, clients, and partners
- Produce high-quality materials on short deadlines
- Champion strong information and knowledge management practices within CPI
- Mentor colleagues on data visualization and design practices, and promote good communications and design thinking across CPI
- Assist with additional projects as needed, such as editing, staff education, analysis/data collection, event planning
- At least seven years progressive experience or demonstrable equivalent skills in visual design, data visualization, information journalism, science or economics communications, or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in visual arts or related field, or quantitative field such as math, natural sciences, economics, or related field; Advance degree desirable
COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Advanced skills with Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Strong ability to navigate Microsoft Excel and other data management tools
- Comfort with statistics and economics
- Extensive experience producing data visualizations
- Website design and content management experience, including WordPress
- Competence in Microsoft Office suite
- Strong interpersonal skills: a good listener, responsive and professional, can convincingly communicate design rationale
- Excellent organizational and personal time management skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Web development experience, including D3, desirable
- Team management and supervision experience desirable
- Interest in CPI’s work topics, particularly financial aspects of climate change; experience in climate change, sustainable development, policy, or financial field(s) desirable
CPI is hiring for one position, open immediately. We are seeking someone based in San Francisco, but we are open to remote work from another location. The position may require international travel. Title and competitive compensation will be based on experience and location.
Visit our website to submit an application.
Your application must include your CV and cover letter with links to a portfolio or examples of your work. The cover letter should outline why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the position requirements. Applications close midnight (PST) Thursday 28 February 2018.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.