ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
With deep expertise in policy and finance, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an analysis and advisory organization that works to improve the most important energy and land use practices around the world. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Europe, and the U.S.
ABOUT THE LAB
Managed by CPI, the Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (The Lab) is an initiative of over 60 public and private investors and institutions that accelerates much-needed investment solutions to support developing countries to meet their climate change and sustainable development goals. Created in 2014, the Lab has now launched 41 instruments that have collectively mobilized nearly US$ 2 billion for action on climate change and sustainable development.
We are seeking a talented and communications manager who will play a key role on CPI’s communications team by creating and managing external communications for our flagship program, the Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (www.ClimateFinanceLab.org).
As the Communications Manager, you will play a crucial role designing and executing strategy for an award-winning and high-impact program. You have excellent communications and project management skills and a solutions-oriented approach. You have a belief in communications as a critical component to influence decision makers at the highest levels, strong, demonstrated interest in sustainable business, investment, finance, and economics, and dedication to CPI’s mission and impact.
You will report to CPI’s Head of Communications. You will work closely with other communications team members partially or fully dedicated to the Lab, as well as with a project management team, analysts, and leadership around the world. You will also work with external stakeholders including the Lab’s members and funders, and media.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Manage the Lab’s brand and all aspects of its external communications
- Develop and carry out integrated external communications strategies
- Manage the communications calendar and timelines for the Lab, including to communicate deadlines and expectations clearly with analysts, leadership, communications team members, and external stakeholders
- Create, edit, and oversee production of branded materials including research products, presentations, graphics, fact sheets, videos, blog posts/op-eds, press materials, and marketing materials targeted at multiple global audiences, including private investors, policymakers, and media
- Secure and coordinate event and speaking opportunities including to develop talking points for senior leadership speaking roles at high-level events, and support the Lab’s members and stakeholders enhancing visibility
- Place stories in top-tier business, financial, and energy sector media
- Manage social media and web presence for the Lab
- Train and mentor analysts and leadership on effective communications, including in writing and presentation skills
- Train and mentor communications staff on core communications competencies; Dependent on experience level, supervise communications staff
- Maintain professional interactions with external stakeholders
- Assist with other communications activities as needed, including event planning and support for membership events in international locations
- Progressive multi-years’ experience or demonstrable equivalent skills in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, policy, economics, international development, or related field; master’s degree desired
COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to navigate a cross-cultural, global working environment
- Excellent English writing and editing skills, with the ability to restructure as well as copyedit. Ability to turn economics and finance knowledge into accessible insights for investors, policymakers, and other stakeholders.
- Experience writing in a variety of formats – web, print publications, briefing papers, press releases, etc.
- Experience with media outreach and public relations. Experience with financial media desirable
- Experience in event management and managing stakeholder relationships
- Experience with the investor, sustainable business, and/or policy community desirable
- Outstanding organizational, project management, and prioritization skills, and ability to manage teams across locations
- Staff supervisory experience in communications desirable
- Ability to work independently, flexibly, and with a solutions-oriented approach, under pressure and on tight deadlines
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite. Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite and CMS/Wordpress desirable
- Graphic design/data visualization skills desirable
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in additional languages highly desirable
CPI is hiring for one position, open immediately. We are seeking someone based in San Francisco but are open to other CPI office locations. The position may require international travel. Title and competitive compensation will be based on experience and location.
Visit our website to submit an application.
With your application, attach: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter, (3) 1-2 original, unedited writing samples. The cover letter should outline why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the position requirements. The writing sample(s) should be provided as external links or uploaded as additional pages in your CV.
The position will remain open until we find the right candidate to join our team. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and we therefore encourage you to submit your application at the earliest opportunity.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.