Equity analysts, macroeconomists, business strategy consultants, London
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
Climate change is one of the world’s most pressing challenges; one that requires technology, policy, markets, finance, and investment to work in concert. In recent years, technological progress has been remarkably positive, while policy has been more stagnant. But energy market design and financial innovation are sometimes overlooked or underdeveloped keys to harnessing technology, encouraging effective policy, accelerating innovation, driving investment, rebalancing incentives, and managing global transition risks.
Climate Policy Initiative’s Energy Finance practice is a multidisciplinary team of economists, analysts, and finance and energy professionals focused on developing innovative finance and energy market solutions that accelerate local, national, and global transitions to low-carbon economies.
CPI was founded in 2009, and has offices in Europe, Brazil, Indonesia, India, and the United States. Although the Energy Finance team is based primarily in London, our programmatic scope is global, with projects looking at markets in Asia, Africa, Europe, the US and Latin America.
As the urgency for action on climate change intensifies, the demand for our work is evolving and increasing. We are therefore scaling up the team to develop innovative investment portfolios while helping companies and governments understand the strategic implications of climate change across four main workstreams:
- Evaluating and pricing climate risk into investment decisions and finance mechanisms;
- Developing new energy market structures and low-carbon transition mechanisms in both developed and emerging markets;
- Helping development financial institutions improve climate-related investments, technical assistance, and development strategies;
- Applying data analytics and machine learning to improve the development and robustness of climate change related economic forecasting, and policy and investment analysis.
CPI offers a challenging environment that requires independent thinking, effective client and stakeholder management, purposeful collaboration and pragmatic problem-solving skills. CPI is looking for talented, highly skilled, flexible and motivated analysts, macroeconomists and business strategy consultants to join its Energy Finance team. Although we are seeking exceptional individuals at different levels of seniority, we are particularly interested in those who have a high level of expertise in at least one of the following areas: equity analysis, project finance, economic forecasting, energy system modelling, business strategy, and artificial intelligence applied to economic or social system forecasting.
A track record of successful project and team management in professional services is a core requirement for more senior prospective candidates, as they will be expected to deliver projects on time and within budget, while motivating and guiding analysts in the planning and execution of complex and data intensive work packages. In close collaboration with the executive director, senior staff will be expected to initiate, design, coordinate and deliver all aspects of a project assigned to them within the wider scope of CPI Energy Finance’s programmes.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and others as assigned:
- Design and deliver qualitative and quantitative research and analysis to an exceptionally high standard of intellectual rigour;
- Generate research outputs and create materials that support analytical insights for clients and the executive director to short deadlines;
- Use quantitative and sector research to construct investment portfolios of publicly listed equities adjusted for climate risk;
- Develop, maintain and facilitate strong relationships with clients, strategic partners, funders and key stakeholders;
- Lead outreach to maximise the impact of our findings with our evolving network of policymakers, investors and industry stakeholders;
- Communicate research findings and insights to our key stakeholders in a way that maximises influence and impact;
- Commission and create impactful materials with a keen eye for visual representation of complex and striking data and findings;
- Manage, commission and guide project-assigned analysts;
- Support the Executive Director for ad-hoc research efforts in line with the mission of CPI Energy Finance;
- Travel as required and be an ambassador for CPI Energy Finance at internal and external events.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- An insightful, independent, analytical mind with a strong track record of best-in-class analysis and critical thinking that has had a measurable impact;
- Proven ability to successfully manage projects and inspire teams to excel;
- Demonstrable ability to influence key stakeholders at the highest level;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to articulate methods, insights and recommendations from complex qualitative and quantitative analysis in a compelling and influential way both internally and to expert and non-technical audiences;
- Experience of influential engagement with executive-level engagement, comfort working alongside high-ranking government officials, leaders in finance and industry, as well as academic experts and research organisations;
- Professionalism and enthusiasm for working with a diverse team in a collegiate and productive manner;
- Respect for your fellow colleagues and a deep commitment to the mission and values of CPI.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in other languages would be highly desirable.
- Master’s degree or Ph.d in Economics, Finance, Public Policy, Engineering or recognised professional finance qualification (e.g. ACA, CFA).
- We are recruiting at several levels of experience. For the more senior positions we would expect 6+ years of experience analysing, designing or complying with policy and market mechanisms in the energy or industrial sectors in Europe.
- Experience working with government or private sector experience (leading consulting firm, think tank, financial institution, utility, large industrial etc.).
- Proven project management track record.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The position is available for immediate appointment. The position will be based in London. Travel will be required. CPI offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Visit https://climatepolicy.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=73 to apply. With your application, attach two documents: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter, followed by a writing sample of 5 pages or less that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted – and proof of the right to live and work in the UK will be required. Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunities employer.