Financial Instruments Analyst
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is a team of analysts and advisors that works with policy makers around the world to improve the most important land use and energy policies, with a particular focus on finance. CPI works in places that provide the most potential for policy impact including Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia and the United States. Our work helps nations grow while addressing increasingly scarce resources and climate risks. This is a complex challenge in which policy plays a crucial role.
The Brazil office works in partnership with PUC-Rio and runs a number of economic and legal research initiatives that focus on helping increase the protection of natural resources and food production in Brazil. More information about the Climate Policy Initiative in Brazil can be found at http://climatepolicyinitiative.org/brazil.
About the Position
This position, based in the Brazil office, will form part of the Financial Instruments team. CPI’s work in this area focuses on the empirical evaluation of Brazil’s main agricultural public policies: rural credit and rural insurance. Boosting agricultural productivity is the key to meeting one of the biggest challenges of our time: fulfilling the growing demand for food and bioenergy and, simultaneously, protecting the environment. Therefore, the research agenda aims to analyze the impacts of current policies on agricultural and environmental outcomes and understand how to better target public subsidies and investments to achieve sustainable production. The position also involves deep engagement with policymakers and stakeholders in the academic, private and non-profit sectors to advance public policy reforms that balance agricultural production and environmental protection.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Head of Policy Evaluation, the Analyst will participate in the development of robust and careful empirical analysis. The ideal candidate for the position is focused, self-driven, and empirically curious. CPI expects the Analyst to produce high-quality materials under demanding deadlines, so the ideal candidate must also systematically demonstrate acute attention to detail and a strong capacity to prioritize when simultaneously tackling multiple tasks. The Analyst will also help in writing academic papers and policy reports and will interact with policymakers and stakeholders in the private, academic, and non-profit sectors.
- Handle a variety of data formats; build and run procedures for statistical and econometric analyses.
- Produce and format analytical output (tables, graphs, maps).
- Assist in the writing and editing of high-quality CPI products, including technical papers, full reports, policy briefs, white papers, and presentations, working closely with the Communications team.
- Engage with policymakers, researchers and stakeholders in the private and non-profit sectors throughout the research process and communicate on the implications of research findings.
- Strictly observe requirements for transparent and reproducible research in the execution of daily tasks.
MAJOR collect, clean, and treat data in a variety of formats and from a variety of sources; run procedures for statistical and econometric analyses; engage with researchers and policymakers throughout the research process; participate in and conduct internal and external presentations; help writing academic papers, reports and policy briefs; collaborate with and provide guidance to research assistants.
MEDIUM contribute to the design of analytical products; communicate and collaborate with members of all CPI Brazil area teams.
MINOR communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working around the globe; travel if needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics or a related field is required
- Master’s or PhD degree in economics is preferred
- Experience with data management and analytics (R or Stata) is required
- Experience with LaTeX is a plus
- Verbal and written proficiency in Portuguese and English languages are required
- Advanced programming skills (preferably R or Stata) for data management and analytics
- Acute and constant attention to detail
- Strong organization and prioritization skills
- Ability to communicate clearly (verbally and in writing) with technical audience in Portuguese and English
- Intellectually and empirically curious
- Self-driven and independent, but enthusiastic about working as part of a team
- Flexible and adaptable
- Interested in evidence-based decision-making
- Interested in environmental topics and public policy evaluation
- Committed to the mission and values of CPI
Compensation and Benefits
CPI is hiring for one full-time position, open immediately. The position is located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. CPI in Brazil hires through the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro and offers competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send their application letter and CV to email@example.com no later than September 30, 2019. Application letters should be written in English and should include a brief description of the candidate’s academic and professional experience, as well as of the candidate’s professional aspirations. The application email should have a subject line as follows: <CPI analyst – financial instruments team – candidate’s first and last names>.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next phase of the selection process.
CPI is an equal opportunity employer.