Freelance Data Visualization Designer
Remote or at CPI office location
With deep expertise in policy and finance, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an analysis and advisory organization that works to improve the most important energy and land use practices around the world. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has offices in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Europe, and the U.S.
We are looking for a part-time data designer to partner with CPI teams to translate complex economic and financial concepts into clear and compelling visual messages.
- Retainer contract
- Temporary, from January 2020 through August 2020
- 16-20 hours per week on average, but will require flexibility
- Can work remotely, or from a CPI office location
- Reports to Senior Data Visualization Specialist based in San Francisco and collaborates with CPI offices around the world
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Conceptualize and create visual materials, including charts/graphics, data visualizations, slide decks, event and marketing materials, and laid-out reports
- Produce high-quality materials on short deadlines
- Experience and demonstrable skills in visual design, data visualization, or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in visual arts or related field, or quantitative field such as math, natural sciences, economics, or related field
COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Advanced skills with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Illustrator and InDesign
- Strong ability to navigate Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Comfort with statistics and economics
- Strong communication skills: responsive and professional, a good listener, and has ability to communicate design rationale
- Excellent organizational and personal time management skills, and experience working on deadline
- Ability to work independently and with a diverse, multicultural team
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule and take calls with colleagues across time zones
- Interest in CPI’s work topics, particularly financial aspects of climate change; experience in climate change, sustainable development, policy, or financial field(s) a plus
Visit our website to submit an application.
Your application must include your resume/CV and cover letter with links to a portfolio or examples of your work as well as your hourly or retainer rate for this role. The cover letter should outline why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the position requirements.
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis, and close midnight (PST) Monday 9 December 2019.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.