Manager, Climate Finance
London or San Francisco
The Manager will provide methodological and technical advice on private finance and capital market components of projects managed by teams working across the Climate Finance division of CPI. The Manager will demonstrably build CPI’s reputation for impactful analysis and unrivalled support to key stakeholders in support of the transition to a low-carbon, climate resilient global economy.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
With deep expertise in finance and policy, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an analysis and advisory organization that works to improve the most important energy and land use practices around the world. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has six offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
The Climate Finance team consists of around 45 staff members based across Delhi, Jakarta, London, Nairobi and Rio and San Francisco.
Our program areas include:
The State of Climate Finance – CPI is the leading authority on tracking and analyzing global climate finance flows to assess the scale and nature of finance, identify the main actors in the market, reveal investment gaps, and highlight opportunities to mobilize finance to fulfill investment potential.
Effective Finance – CPI advises governments and development finance institutions on the effectiveness of their portfolios and works to improve public finance interventions in key regions.
Transformative Finance – CPI supports the implementation of new and transformative finance solutions that mobilize sustainable investment at scale. CPI manages the Lab: a high-level group of public and private investors that identifies, develops, and supports pilots of transformative climate finance instruments. CPI also manages USICEF, India’s first project preparation facility for distributed renewable energy, and leads GNI+, a partnership to provide governments with the best available policy, technical, financial, governance, and legal expertise to support their climate goals.
The Manager will be responsible for the development and management of new and existing initiatives, projects, sub-projects, products and analytical approaches, particularly related to private climate finance.
You will guide analysts and project managers and generate ideas for business and research product development. You will actively encourage excellence and innovation as well as mentor, support and build a strong sense of commitment and motivation within the team, working in close partnership with CPI’s leadership team. You will ensure that project managers and analysts deliver high quality outputs on time and within budget, as well as robust and careful analysis, applying, developing and refining methodologies, drawing from economics, finance, public policy, risk management, statistics, law, engineering, and other academic and commercial disciplines as relevant.
Managers cultivate productive and positive working relations with key local and international partners, practitioners and potential clients from the policy, finance, and corporate spheres, as well as with CPI teams across the globe.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and others as assigned:
- Develop client-targeted, analytical approaches, initiatives, projects and products, particularly related to understanding private climate finance flows and stocks at international and national levels and measuring progress toward a zero carbon and climate resilient transition (CPI’s climate finance tracking work), as well as supporting increased impact of the Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance portfolio of instruments and climate finance effectiveness work.
- Design and deliver high quality, innovative and rigorous qualitative and quantitative climate finance research and analysis
- Mentor and support project managers and analysts across the climate finance team in different locations globally, by contributing to the development and execution of analytical approaches related to climate finance effectiveness, innovation and implementation.
- Support knowledge sharing and skill building across the organization.
- Provide quality assurance to CPI outputs, ensuring deliverables meet CPI’s high-quality standards and analysis is robust and thorough
- Contribute to the creation of impactful materials with a keen eye for visual representation of complex data and findings
- Identify and pursue funding and business development opportunities for CPI, advising and reporting to the CPI leadership team
- Maintain excellent relations with a selection of key stakeholders and (potential) clients, as agreed with and reporting to the CPI leadership team
- Represent CPI at high level events and meetings, communicating research findings and insights to key stakeholders to maximize influence and impact
COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-graduate degree or PhD in Economics, Finance, Public Policy and/or recognized professional finance qualification (e.g. ACA, CFA, IMC) or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience in analysis of zero carbon and climate resilient projects, transitions and green finance flows and financial markets
- Senior and progressive experience in financial analysis or related fields. Additional government or private sector experience (leading consulting firm, think tank, financial institution, utility, large industrial) desirable
- Deep understanding of project finance and capital markets, and relationships with low carbon, climate resilient transitions of emerging economies and developing countries
- Strong quantitative research and analytical skills
- Independent, analytical mind with a track record of applying sound financial, political and strategic judgment in complex situations
- Project management experience, as well as strong attention to detail, organization, time management, and prioritization skills, and an ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with different types of organizations (commercial finance, NGOs, national governments, researchers, cities, etc.) and coordinate seamlessly across different levels of seniority
- Ability to confidently work autonomously while seeking strategic guidance and input
- Deep commitment to the mission and values of CPI
- Fluency in English required (written and verbal); other language skills highly desirable
TITLE AND COMPENSATION
CPI is hiring for one full-time position with an immediate start. The initial contract will be for a fixed term of 2 years with the potential for extension. The position will be located in London or San Francisco and will require occasional international travel. CPI offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package. Compensation will be based on experience.
Visit our website to submit an application which must include your CV and a cover letter outlining your interest in this position and how your skills and experience match the above criteria. Your cover letter should also include a minimum 2-page example of your own writing.
Applications will be evaluated on a continuous basis as received. The deadline for applications is midnight 26thJuly 2019 BST.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.