Research Project Associate
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is a team of analysts and advisors that works to improve the most important energy and land use policies around the world. We answer pressing questions posed by decision makers through in-depth analysis on what works and what does not. In Brazil, CPI partners with policymakers, business leaders, and experts to help advance the country towards improving land use and developing policy to support a low-carbon economy.
The Brazil office works in partnership with the PUC-Rio and runs a number of economic and legal research initiatives that focus on helping increase the protection of natural resources and food production, diversifying the energy matrix and other critical issues for mitigating climate change in Brazil. The Research Project Associate reports to the Program Director and will assist CPI’s research team plan and release research deliverables, including policy briefs, analytical papers, infographics, data summaries, and materials for the website and outreach. The Research Project Associate works closely with researchers to track deliverables and to increase the impact of CPI’s analysis. It requires a person who is strategic, flexible and adaptable, an expert at managing multiple projects, and can effectively prioritize a heavy workload. The successful candidate must be able to anticipate problems and offer solutions before they occur, exercise clear and timely judgment, and enable continued growth and development. Strong candidates will demonstrate excellent communication skills, comfort working in an environment that requires independent thinking as well as collaboration, and enthusiasm and commitment to CPI’s mission and values.
More information about the Climate Policy Initiative in Brazil can be found at http://climatepolicyinitiative.org/brazil.
The Research Project Associate’s core responsibilities will encompass:
- Support CPI researchers manage multiple deliverables from different funding sources
- Manage the publication process and pipeline for the Brazil team
- Track and monitor CPI Brazil’s progress, outputs and impact
- Support the execution of outreach programs and activities to foster collaborations between researchers and to disseminate knowledge through a website and other media
- Organize programs including conferences and workshops
- Coordinate, review and edit written material in English and Portuguese
- Supervise graphic design and communication assistants
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Coordinate the production and release of work products from CPI Brazil’s team of researchers, including analytical papers, reports, policy briefs, presentations, and opinion editorials targeted at multiple global audiences – especially policymakers.
- Work closely with research leads to develop timelines for deliverables, work products and outreach needed to reach their goals.
- Develop and track metrics that enable the Executive Director and research team to evaluate the success of particular research initiatives and plan for ways to more fully realize the vision of CPI and its programs.
- Organize research and policy networks and coordinate seed grant activities and contracts.
- Support the Center on reporting requirements to the program’s funders.
- Accompany outreach and dissemination activities, including event planning, publicity, and publication activities.
- Manage the website and mailings for Portuguese and English audiences.
- Assist with other communications activities as needed.
- At least three years of professional experience;
- BS or BA required, possession of a Master’s Degree is a plus;
- Proven work experience in project management is required;
- Experience organizing events and outreach is required;
- Experience reviewing and editing text is required;
- Verbal and written proficiency in Portuguese and English languages is required;
- Experience working with geographically dispersed team and with virtual communications platforms is preferred;
- Knowledge of the Brazilian land use management, energy or transportation issues is a plus.
COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Commitment to the mission and values of CPI;
- Exceptional project management skills;
- Experience building and developing relationships with external stakeholders;
- Strong attention to detail, organization, time management, and prioritization skills, and an ability to work under pressure and on tight deadlines;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills;
- Intellectually curious and willing to work within a technical field;
- Flexibility, professionalism, poise, enthusiasm for working as part of a team, and an ability to maintain a sense of humor and interact with a diverse array of people;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
CPI is hiring for one full-time position, open immediately. The position will be located in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.
Interested candidate should send application letter and CV to email@example.com no later than December 2, 2019. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the email subject. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next phase of the selection process.
CPI is an equal opportunity employer.