ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
With deep expertise in policy and finance, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) helps governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive growth while addressing climate change. CPI is recognized as a leading source of analysis and solutions for climate action and green growth. It has more than 70 analysts and staff working to answer decision makers’ most pressing questions and works in places that provide the most potential for impact, including Brasil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Europe, and the United States. CPI is a small but dynamic organization, with a global reach and an entrepreneurial culture. We work hard to maintain an idea-driven, collaborative environment across all our teams.
CPI’s Climate Finance program guides decision makers who are working to ensure economic growth while addressing increasingly scarce resources and climate risk. Enough capital exists to transition the world into a low-carbon, climate-resilient economy. However, current investment in climate-friendly development falls far short of the need. CPI works to redirect finance from high- to low-carbon activities and helps decision makers use their resources wisely. We analyze and track global climate finance investment flows and trends, apply in-depth analysis and advise decision-makers to support market effectiveness, and support the development of transformative financial solutions to address investors’ needs and lower costs.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director and Asia Director, the Senior Analyst will support shape and influence CPI’s analytical standing, reputation, and growth. The Senior Analyst will have overall responsibility to provide research and analytical leadership for our work in Indonesia. You will work with government and businesses to help design policy and market options that are practical and implementable. You will be expected to work in conjunction with other CPI offices worldwide. You will demonstrate good quantitative skills; experience in finance; excellent written and oral communication skills; and an ability to generate actionable rather than academic insights. The Senior Analyst undertakes robust and careful analysis, applying robust methodology, drawing on fields that may include public policy, regulatory economics, finance, risk management, statistics, and other academic and commercial disciplines. We place a premium on problem structuring, initiative, and flexibility.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role will have both analytical/research, project, and team management functions and the candidate should be comfortable balancing both – the role includes the following and other duties as assigned (with minimum supervision):
- Support the management and successful execution of projects as designated by the Associate Director, including budget tracking, analyst, consultant and communications team coordination, and grant reporting
- Perform robust quantitative/qualitative analysis to support the refinement and development of innovative financing instruments including assessments of the financial sustainability and innovative nature of instruments, cash flow modelling, business models, and energy policies.
- Identify opportunities for the sustainable growth and development of the work stream and lead development of funding proposals under guidance of the Associate Director
- Represent CPI Indonesia at external climate finance events, building visibility and growing support base, and effectively managing multi-stakeholder relationships
- Lead the writing and editing of high-quality CPI products, including full reports, executive summaries, blogs, and presentations
- Communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working around the globe
- Produce high-quality materials that are fit for purpose, on time and within budget
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Fluency in English and Indonesian
- Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, or another relevant field; PhDs in finance and CFAs are welcome. Candidates with a strong analytical/quantitative background are preferred; experience in economics a plus
- Familiarity with one or more of the following fields: climate finance, international climate policy, sustainable or impact investment, renewable energy and/or sustainable land use
- At least four years of professional experience in financial services, management consulting, capital markets, structured financial products, risk hedging solutions, and financial derivatives.
- Strong financial acumen and comfort analyzing complex blended finance instruments
- Experience with project cash flow modelling and project impact assessment
- Excellent project management skills including time management, task delegation and prioritization, stakeholder management and communication skills
- Flexibility, professionalism, enthusiasm for working as part of a team, and an ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate complex qualitative and quantitative analyses to expert as well as non-technical audiences
- Independent, analytical mind with an excellent track record of applying sound financial, political and strategic judgment to complex issues
- An ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION
The position will be located in Jakarta but will require regular domestic and international travel. CPI offers excellent benefits packages and competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience. Hiring immediately.
Visit this link to submit an application. With your application, attach (1) CV and (2) a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience align with the job requirements and your desire to work for CPI, followed by a writing sample of 5 pages or less that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself, by COB October 25, 2019.
Applicants must have Indonesian citizenship or a permanent residency in Indonesia.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer