New Global Commission to Analyze Economic Risks and Benefits of Climate Action
New York, NY, 2013-09-24
Launch Features Former President of Mexico Felipe Calderon, President Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia, and International Ministers and Representatives
Former President of Mexico Felipe Calderon and ministers from a diverse group of countries will launch a major new international initiative, the Global Commission on the Economy and Climate, comprising former heads of government, finance ministers, and leaders in the fields of economics, business and finance.
The Commission’s flagship project, The New Climate Economy, brings together leading research institutes and economists from six continents to analyze the risks and benefits of climate action. It will make recommendations to the world’s governments, business and finance leaders on how to achieve lower-carbon economic growth and development.
Climate Policy Initiative is contributing to the New Climate Economy to analyze and communicate the economic opportunities and risks that arise from climate change. By examining private investment risks and returns, we are exploring whether the cost of financing the transition to a low carbon economy can be reduced. Specifically, we are examining:
1) the impact of policy on risk and thus financing costs, and;
2) whether investments are structured appropriately for large capital holders.
The press event will feature ministers and representatives from Colombia, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Korea, Norway, Sweden and the United Kingdom, the countries which have commissioned the initiative.
The event will take place before the opening of the UN General Assembly meeting and during “Climate Week” in New York City.
Launch of The New Climate Economy project in New York City
- Felipe Calderon, former President of Mexico and Chair of the Global Commission on the Economy and Climate
- President Juan Manuel Santos, Colombia
- Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, Norway
- Lena Ek, Minister of Environment, Sweden
- Kuntoro Mangkusubroto, Minister and head of the President’s Delivery Unit, Indonesia
- Rt. Hon. Gregory Barker, Minister for Energy and Climate Change, UK
- Boonam Shin, Ambassador for Green Growth, Republic of Korea
- Jeremy Oppenheim, Director of the New Climate Economy project
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
8:00 a.m. EDT
**NOTE: Media should arrive and register by 7:30 a.m.**
A light breakfast will be served.
Hilton Manhattan East
304 East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017 (between 1st and 2nd Avenues)
(Just three blocks from the United Nations headquarters)
For questions, please contact: Lauren Zelin (202) 729-7736; firstname.lastname@example.org