With expertise in finance, CPI focuses on renewable electricity, energy efficiency, utility business models, and innovation in the U.S. – identifying evidence-based solutions through in-depth analysis on what’s working and what’s not.
- States and utilities are exploring cost-effective ways to comply with the Clean Power Plan. CPI is working with former public utility commissioners, CREST Renewable Energy, and Clean Energy Action to analyze financially realistic options for Colorado to accelerate deployment of low-cost renewables while retiring or repurposing higher-cost fossil fuel plants. The financial models and tools created will be of relevance to other states and utilities.
- The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) has engaged CPI to review and analyze a set of potential options for the future of large-scale renewable energy, to support New York’s Reforming the Energy Vision (REV) process. CPI presented the results of this work in a technical conference held by NYSERDA in June, 2015.
- Our work on the transition to low-carbon electricity looks at how to scale up renewable energy through adjustments to current models of electricity generation, transmission, delivery, and finance.
- We have also explored how the potential stranding of coal and oil will affect the U.S. economy and how policies can help reduce the cost of transition to low-carbon energy.
- The California Carbon Dashboard provides real-time news on cap-and-trade and climate policies in one of the most important economies and emitters in the world.
- Our analysis on U.S. tax policies showed that adjustments to how renewable energy policies are delivered could save taxpayers billions each year.
What's New in the U.S.
October 5, 2017
Today we are publishing a working paper on the future design of the energy market as part of a program ...
September 22, 2017
US-India Clean Energy Finance (USICEF) has selected the first class of project developers in Indian distributed solar power to receive ...
Burlington, Vermont, September 6, 2017
Catalysts of the Climate Economy (cc:econ) is a 3-day national innovation summit in Burlington, Vermont to bring together entrepreneurs, ...
Financing clean power: a risk-based approach to choosing ownership models and policy & finance instruments
September 4, 2017
This week we publish a working paper setting out a framework for: (i) determining how risks for power investments should ...
August 8, 2017
This week we launch our design for an investment-grade financing vehicle targeted at institutional investors that reduces the cost of ...