With expertise in finance, CPI focuses on renewable electricity, energy efficiency, utility business models, and innovation in the U.S. – identifying evidence-based solutions through in-depth analysis on what’s working and what’s not.
- States and utilities are exploring cost-effective ways to comply with the Clean Power Plan. CPI is working with former public utility commissioners, CREST Renewable Energy, and Clean Energy Action to analyze financially realistic options for Colorado to accelerate deployment of low-cost renewables while retiring or repurposing higher-cost fossil fuel plants. The financial models and tools created will be of relevance to other states and utilities.
- The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) has engaged CPI to review and analyze a set of potential options for the future of large-scale renewable energy, to support New York’s Reforming the Energy Vision (REV) process. CPI presented the results of this work in a technical conference held by NYSERDA in June, 2015.
- Our work on the transition to low-carbon electricity looks at how to scale up renewable energy through adjustments to current models of electricity generation, transmission, delivery, and finance.
- We have also explored how the potential stranding of coal and oil will affect the U.S. economy and how policies can help reduce the cost of transition to low-carbon energy.
- The California Carbon Dashboard provides real-time news on cap-and-trade and climate policies in one of the most important economies and emitters in the world.
- Our analysis on U.S. tax policies showed that adjustments to how renewable energy policies are delivered could save taxpayers billions each year.
What's New in the U.S.
November 7, 2019
The 2019 edition of Climate Policy Initiative’s Global Landscape of Climate Finance provides the most comprehensive overview of global climate-related primary investment. This year’s report includes the first major wave of investments following ratification of the Paris Agreement, in 2017 and 2018.
Tata Cleantech Capital Limited joins the US-India Clean Energy Finance initiative to drive debt financing for clean energy access in underserved communities in India
August 24, 2018
The U.S.-India Clean Energy Finance (USICEF) initiative has signed on a new partner, Tata Cleantech Capital Limited (TCCL), ...
Transitional Foreign Exchange Debt Platform: Paths to Enable Foreign Currency Debt to the Rooftop Solar Sector in India
June 18, 2018
Low access to debt capital remains one of the key barriers to achieving the Indian government’s target of 40GW of rooftop solar installations by 2022. Foreign capital can help bridge the gap in debt availability for rooftop solar, however, foreign currency debt exposes rooftop solar project sponsors to the risk of foreign exchange rate fluctuation...
June 12, 2018
India has been a sweet spot for renewable energy investment exhibiting an 11% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) between 2004 ...